COTE DE TEXAS: Inspiration on the Skirted Roundtable This Week!

Inspiration on the Skirted Roundtable This Week!

 

The latest trend in magazines is online publishing.   Even trendier is starting your own online magazine – no paper issues, just digital issues.   Fueled by all the print magazines that have folded during this economic downturn, everybody it seems is taking the plunge to digital.     Some of the new online-only magazines are just a few pages long with not much content or effort put into them, while others rival the best of the print versions.   Armed with professional photographers and stylists, these editors fly from coast to coast taking pictures of unique houses and shops.  On the whole, the digital versions are hipper and fresher than most print magazines and target the X and Y generations.   Most appealing is their immediacy and clickable links, along with being environmentally friendly.   The first big online splash was made by Lonny, which was favorably compared to domino magazine.  Last year, Twitter was busy spreading the word about a new online magazine’s release: RUE.   And soon, another promising blogger driven magazine, Houston –based High Gloss, will be released.  

 

image

Singer Alison Sudol is featured on this Rue’s cover this month.

The newest mag, Rue, is just three issues old.  It is filled with page after page of décor and fashion.   The editors of Rue are keenly tech savvy:  they used social networking to spread the word and their first issue was a smash hit.   There were so many subscribers they were able to attract high class advertisers.    Last week, we welcomed the two founders of Rue to the Skirted Roundtable.   These girls are driven, smart, energetic and talented.   They are going places and so is Rue.   Their zest is infectious.   If you are stuck in a rut or bored or just listless, listen to these two for some much needed stimulation.  I felt like an old, worthless slug after talking with them!   The third issue of Rue has just arrived this week and it is filled with story after story; the issue is impressively huge at 267 pages!    How they put this together and kept up their daily blogs, I will never understand!    Here are a few of my favorite photos from the new Rue:

 

image

My favorite story is about Brooke Giannetti from Velvet and Linen.  Here, in a picture from Brooke and Steve’s shop Giannetti Home,  is a chair from their furniture line which Steve and Brooke design.  I LOVE, LOVE this chair!!!!!!  Velvet and Linen is one of my favorite blogs, a daily must for me.

 

image

Another great story centers around entertainer and photo stylist’s Annette Joseph’s aesthetic.  Loved this tablescape in her Atlanta home.

 

image

Tarama Kaye-Honey’s house is innovative and fresh.   Cute dog!

 

image

It’s not all about house décor in Rue.  There’s a lot of fashion.   Beautiful photograph. 

 

image

Another favorite story is about Susanna Salk’s lakeside house.  Here, her breakfast room caught my eye with that great island and orange and white upholstered furniture.

 

image

I love  Susanna’s kitchen with its Shaws sink and marble countertops.

 

image

Her bedroom is  casual trendy.   Love the headboard and the long console doubling as a desk.

 

image

The two founders of Rue, Crystal Gentilello and Anne Sage, were both bloggers when they decided to launch Rue.  They had never even met face-to-face until several weeks into their partnership.    A true story of the new century, it’s all about high tech and social networking.  To listen to this inspiring interview, go HERE.  To read the latest Rue, go HERE.

 

35 comments :

  1. I'm already in love with Rue magazine. While it's fun seeing these issues online nothing will ever beat a paper magazine in my opinion. I like being able to feel the pages. I'll never be a kindle gal either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I know what you mean about holding the print in my hands- I treasure my old issues and reread them constantly.

    That being said, congrats to these 2 ladies and much admiration for their ambition and best wishes for their success.

    And, Joni, you are not an old slug, girl. You are too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this issue of Rue was outstanding! It was a great combination of interesting articles, featuring some favorite style makers. One of the aspects of the magazine that made it exceptional was the art direction. Art Directors are sometimes unsung heroes and Bri deserves huge kudos in this regard. I do, however, agree with Acquired Objects - although I love these online publications - it's just not the same as holding it in your hand - especially with all the zooming in and out so these challenged eyes can read the small print!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joni, I was really impressed with this issue of "Rue"; so impressed that I'm going to acquire a new larger monitor so that I don't stress about fitting the entire page on the screen. I will be going to SRT to hear your interview. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. * G' mornin', Joni~~ I, too, like the FEEL of the actual picture, on paper, in my hand... BUUUT, I sure do ADMIRE these young gals for forging ahead in this relatively new field...

    Oh, to be so brave n' adventurous!!! It must be SOOO exciting, but I DO believe I'll just leave that to the young ones, n' simply enjoy what they've put their hearts & souls into!!!

    All the best to all of them, & thanks for the great, early a.m. read!!!!

    Warmest to you,
    Linda in AZ *
    bellesmom1234@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a Rue, too! Yikes...what is this all going to do to our "pointer finger?!?!?" franki

    ReplyDelete
  7. I applaude these contemporary 'Cultural Creatives' for their efforts and style. The current issue is a winner. I believe it is an award-winning product. I enjoyed every page, the art direction, the photography, font choices, the emotion, editorial, information, layouts. This e-Mag is sterling. Congratulations from Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...well of course our favorite on line magazine is COTE DE TEXAS...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true,Joni, reading your column is at times like reading a fab magazine.

    That said I love Rue, and I know High Gloss will be a huge success as well.

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  10. joni and gals, thanks for the wonderful interview and for asking the questions we all wanted to know..

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not very computer savvy. How do you save pictures from these online magazines? I can't seem to figure it out!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you flipped through Adore? I'm in love with the Vivien Westwood tattered Union Jack carpet featured as a wall hanging on the cover.

    http://www.pageflipper.com/Catalogue/351364f5cc8446d8a29774525b7d38ca

    - Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with Debra, although I do enjoy these new online magazines I tend to click through the pages quickly and never really think about going back to them later. I never throw my Veranda or other favorites away. I flip through them time and again. Please don't tell me we are going totally digital. I'm also laughing that you felt like an old hag. I'm off to listen and can only imagine how I will feel. I'm not near as savy as you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Joni,

    I left a comment there already because I simply loved the interview! It was really fun and informative. The Rue girls are very nice, very smart and if you hear the interview you simply get why they're so successful with Rue. Being the best is not that hard when you're passionate about what you do you know? Yep.. YOU know! :-)

    If aren't too busy, I'd LOVE to have you on my blog... come see my post today about Michael Jordan's new dining table with thousands of holes! I'd love to know your opinion about it! Seriously!

    xo


    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this interview! Thought provoking & interesting. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of the things I appreciate the most about your blog is your meticulous attention to spelling and grammar. You are a wonderful writer, and it really shows! The online mags (as well as the blogging world in general) are RIFE with misspelled words and poor editing. While I enjoy the photos and art direction, the editorial content is often very carelessly produced.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh, I'm behind on a couple of SRT's...I'll have to tape the laptop upstairs with me tonight and listen while I'm packing.

    Hope you are well Joni, those apts in the last post make me want to run out and buy a ticket! Sunning.

    Best,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joni: Velvet and Linen is one of my favorites too, along with yours!

    I really enjoyed the Skirted Roundtable and snuggled up with my headphones and enjoyed hearing their story about how they started Rue Magazine. So inspiring to hear how they met and how they work! They must not get any sleep! Thanks for sharing.

    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joni,
    So glad that the gals from Rue sat down with you all! I bet it was a fun & very interesting chat!
    I just read the magazine for the first time and it was this issue.
    Geeze, was I ever delighted to see stories about Brooke, Annette & Susanna, three different women that I have come to know through blogging!
    I hope that the folks at Rue know how wonderful that was for just a little blogger like me.
    Talk about feeling connected!
    Thank you Rue & Joni!
    Xo Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was impressed by the 3rd issue...lovely greetings

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Joni! I am so excited to have found RUE through you!!!! I went on and viewed the newest issue today and was super impressed! Thanks for always hooking us all up with the latest and greatest in interior design! Your blog continues to inspire me with each and every post! Happy Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Joni,
    I love the pillows with the butterflies pictured on the fashion page. Where can I find the butterfly pillows?
    Thanks,
    beverly

    ReplyDelete
  23. As someone living abroad without easy, inexpensive access to design magazines, I love the idea of Rue, not to mention great blogs like this one! So I'm all for it! Thanks for picking some really great images - all of them had something surprising, in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so last century in every way and love my ten year old magazines, even if I only look at them once in a very great blue moon. I'm very glad that I am at least tech savvy enough to log on and enjoy blogs, mind you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Totally fun to look at. I love those candle holders on the table. Everything is so functionally simple but, stylish. That totally appeals to me. Love it!
    xoxo
    Lila Ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  26. How will I ever get anything done? I'm doomed with the "real" magazines strewn about the house in cozy corners, next to my bed, in the bath...and now the beauty is tempting me electronically while I should be working. Must.Stay.Focused.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Joni! I feel like Grandma Moses after seeing the editors of Rue. I prefer your style and taste to theirs but it was educational and refreshing to see what Generation Y (my son's generation) likes. The Skirted Roundtable interview was great. The editors sound smart, determined and charming. I wish them luck, and I will be watching. One bad thing about magazines on line ... can't read them in the bath tub!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Joni,

    I just thought of you now... Take a look at my post today, I think you'd like to see that house... I look at it and I think it's your taste. Am I right?

    Have a nice day! :-)

    xo


    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    Post of the Day: An Elegant House By Canadian Interior Designer Scott Yetman.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Crystal's amazing & just such a sweet & genuine person. Am so happy for their success!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow Pamelas house is nothing short of perfection. Truly fabulous in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Joni! I think I'm late to the party - I discovered your blog and Skirted Roundtable in December and I'm hooked. I was down in the dumps and I can honestly say your blog helped to cheer me up and get motivated. I have been reading your older post - Grey Gardens, ASID - outstanding! Your post are so rich & full - I like that. Thank you so much, your blog is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just listened to your Rue interview and agreed that a hard copy is nice but then i received my new House Beautiful with the PINK theme . I am so disappointed in the direction HB has taken since Drucker left. Design has been dumbed down for the masses. So this hard copy was not better.
    Could you address this with the SRT crew at some point?
    Thank you,
    Eve

    ReplyDelete
  33. That's a cute magazine cover.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is the prime factor that individuals are ending up being much more as well as much more aware concerning their facebook status and seeking methods to improve their facebook ID. buy usa facebook likes

    ReplyDelete