COTE DE TEXAS: Veranda Magazine

Veranda Magazine

 scan0005

Cover story:  Magnificent Swedish clock/desk combination.

I love when a magazine's cover is beautiful.  I'll spy the new issue on the stands and my heart skips a beat while I rush to the checkout counter.  If the cover is especially pretty, I won't scan the magazine on the way home.  Instead, I'll wait until I can take the article all in, with no distractions.  The new Veranda magazine has such a cover!   The story centers around a gorgeous, remodeled Dallas home owned by a young Texan couple, both of whom have ties to the design world.  The Newsoms started and own the wildly successful Wisteria catalogue, a favorite source for designers and design lovers everywhere. The wife, Shannon, is the daughter of one of Houston's great interior designers, Jane Moore - who also owns the shop Jane Moore, Ltd. which specializes in Swedish and French antiques.  And, as if that isn't enough design pedigree for one couple -- Andrew, the husband, is the son of Veranda's founder and editor Lisa Newsom (a fact which was news to me.)  No wonder Wisteria is as fabulous as it is!!  With genes like these, how could Shannon and Andrew go wrong? 

Have I told  you yet just how fabulous their home is?  Filled to overflowing with painted Swedish and French antiques, it is a vision in soft, muted colors.  Gustavian furniture is a close cousin to French furniture and they mix well together.  Plain and checked linens cover the peeling painted wood frames of the chairs and sofas.  Walls throughout are painted white and the wood floors are just as light.  No fussy drapery here, instead wood shutters cover the windows.  Sprinkled throughout the house are pieces from the Wisteria catalogue, but mostly the accessories are one-of-kind antiques, some of which will serve as inspirations to copy for the catalogue.  Veranda magazine is based out of the deep south and thus, isn't available everywhere, so for those unable to buy it, here are a few highlights from the Newsom house:

  scan0004

One side of the living room, Gustavian chairs, French console.

scan0001

Gorgeous antique mantel, french chairs.  I love the old books on the mantel.

scan0003

The dining room with new steel table from France, antique French chairs and chandelier.  Swedish Moro clock in the background.

v4

Living room with Chelsea Editions check on custom sofa.  Swedish chairs and center table.  Modern lamps are an unexpected touch.  Wisteria green jug on table.

27 comments :

  1. Beautiful, I love the painted screen hung on the wall in the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traditional Home has a Texas couple's house, too. I was just checking it out in the grocery line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reading that same issue! It is a lovely home, very fresh and light and charming! A great posting -- and thanks for including the photos too!

    Jan at Rosemary Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have extreme lust for the Swedish Moro clock...sigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this magazine!!! I always have. The most mouth watering home featured ever (no pun intended) was that of the chef Emeril La Gasse in New Orleans. Veranda always does it best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stjoie: I know, I love those clocks!!!

    Artist: Tara Shaw did Emeril's house. She has a to the trade only store in Houston, and one in NOLA that I love to shop at it. She did a great job on that house.

    Thanks y'all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As soon as I saw the cover of the new Veranda, I thought to myself "Joni is going to drool over this house". I am beginning to think of the Chelsea Editions check as one of your trademark items, and it was used liberally in this home!

    I love the Gustavian middle table from the Wisteria catalog. Have you ever seen any of their furniture pieces in person? It looks like the model for the Gustavian middle table is in this couple's home, and you have it in one of your pictures (you id it as a French console).

    Great post! I love the CDT analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As soon as I saw the cover photo on your post I didn't read an inch further! I was hoping to get my copy in the mail today, and I did! Like you, I love to sit down and savor my magazines. And now that I did that, I popped on back. it was great to read your post about all the players in this family. Thanks Joni!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As soon as I saw the cover photo on your post I didn't read an inch further! I was hoping to get my copy in the mail today, and I did! Like you, I love to sit down and savor my magazines. And now that I did that, I popped on back. it was great to read your post about all the players in this family. Thanks Joni!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joni,beautiful job!!! I love the grey. My new obsession. I may just have one big grey house, inside and out! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are unfortunately alot of American and English design magazines that are hard to find but fortunately Veranda is not one of them.

    Australian's LOVE this magazine and you can find it at most newsagencies. It's not one of the cheapest mags but personally I can't resist it.

    The cover of this magazine, always speaks to me and this issue looks like no exception. I can't wait till it arrives down under.

    Thank you for this delightful post Joni.

    Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! Joni! this is gorgeous! I was just playing around with changing the background color on my blog, then clicked over to see what you were up to - the new color is beautiful, and the magazine divine!!No wonder Wisteria is such a great catalog. I love how personable Andrew is in his letter/comments in each edition. Cute family and obviously very, very good taste!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great background info! I knew there had to be some kind of "magic" behind the Wisteria catalog...

    There are only two magazines that are never discarded in my house- Veranda and Architectural Digest. They are stacked side by side in their appropriate spots of prominence... :)

    I will say that I think Veranda's covers are more incredible than any other... they are pure decadence and almost demand to be accompanied by fine chocolates and wine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonjour Côte de Texas, the mention "French design on the Texas Coast" caught my attention. Am discovering your very beautiful and quite dense blog. I'm a French designer living in Spain. Was wondering, do you know the French magazine "Côté Sud" ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no idea of the family connection between Veranda and Wisteria. Love Wisteria offerings. A little something extra is always included with shipping. I ordered two side tables recently and received a burlap tote as well. Thanks for the enlightenment!

    teaorwine

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the quality of light in this home. I too love Veranda magazine and luckily I can get it here in the North.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like you, when I saw the cover of this magazine, I got weak in the knees! I love this house, and the background story makes it all the more fascinating. This is a lovely post about a lovely home. I LOVE your new lavendar background!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, prety pics, as usual from Veranda. I get my monthly fix from Traditional Home. Love those mags! It's always the pics that draw me in.

    Rhoda

    ReplyDelete
  19. These rooms are brimming with tasteful touches and interest. I love the chandelier in the dining room and the wall colour is divine. What 'white' do you think they used?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi - I didn't realize Veranda was available all over the world! oh well. Liberty: which white do you think they used? -- an expensive faux painter for sure - someone who subtly painted a gorgeous white color. hahaha - you don't think they got someone out of the Greensheet or Pennysaver to paint their house, do you?

    Thanks for all the comments y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found these rooms to be so calming. Very beautiful and I too liked the touch of the old books on the mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw this cover while buying an antique chandelier in store in Carmel this weekend, the owner was raving about the contents as I admired it. I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, but your preview makes me want to run to get it right now! :) Thanks for the info as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wonderful cover !! and the others pictures are as gorgeous as the one on the cover ...wonderful home

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, I came across your blog while doing some research on Veranda magazine. You have a good eye for the Paris style. I'll be in Paris in February on a group trip that is very exciting. If you get a minute, check out the website http://www.EuropeAntiqueTrip.com These people have a tour that is cheap and more aimed towards the dealers and bargain hunters. Good luck with your antique hunting. Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Celina, that logic is flawed!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It can't really have effect, I think this way.

    ReplyDelete