COTE DE TEXAS: Two from Texas

Two from Texas

Interior designers from Houston have gotten quite the national press this year. House Beautiful had a cover story of Carol Glasser's design of my friend's Swedish home in River Oaks. Elle Decor did a cover of another Houston designer, Randy Powers. Veranda this month featured Houstonian Renea Abbott's work on its cover. But none of these veteran designers had quite as much press as Joe Shaffer. Joe's client, an owner of a real estate company, has two homes - both of which he designed, and both of which were featured this year. The Houston home is shown in Veranda and the country home is in Elle Decor. It's fascinating to look at how one woman, one designer, and two homes are either alike or different. The Houston home is a vision in soft celadon. The color weaves its way throughout the home tying the upstairs with the downstairs. The Houston home features predominantly French antiques juxtaposed with contemporary art work. The country home outside of Fredricksburg is also filled with French antiques, but some are of the more provincial kind. Again, there is a continuity of color, but this time it's creamy and gray tones. Both homes feature patternless, neutral fabrics and both homes share an air of sophisticated intelligence. Which home would you prefer to own, given the choice?

A tablescape sets the mood of the city house, contemporary art work mixes with sophisticated antiques.

One end of the living room with a French antique sofa, French chairs, a whimsical collection of antique suitcases, and an antique carpet.


A larger view of the living room showing antique Fortuny draperies, antique barometer, and important contemporary art.

The dining room takes on a relaxed atmosphere with a short, flirty skirt over a curvy iron table. I adore this room.


The sitting area of the master bedroom. Note the striped blue and white dhurri and blue and white garden seat set underneath the tea table. I love the symmetry of the mirrors and lamps on the commode between the two windows framed further out by the striped pillows.


The other side of the bedroom showing the gorgeous bed.

Country Home:


Texas limestone house with original tin roof set in the Hill Country. This type of architecture was popular with the German settlers who populated this part of Texas. The Hill Country is Texas' Provence.

Limestone walls in the kitchen, chandelier dresses up the rustic antiques.


Pale neutrals set a quiet tone in the living area. These antiques would work in the city house too. The lack of drapes in the country home gives a sparser look as compared to the cosier Houston home.


Another view of the living room. Striped pillows are the only patterned fabric. Linen fabric dresses down the French settee.


Another living area matches the mood of the other room. Love the architectural piece over the door.


French provincial commode with gold mirror. The owner had been accumulating antiques she bought in France for years in anticipation of owning a country home.

Crystal sconces are an unexpected touch in this rustic bathroom.

Gorgeous, curvy iron bed in guest room.

Louis XVI adds elegance to the attic styled bedroom. The owner, a single woman, hired a local landscape architect to help with the project. Apparently, he now lives in the house with her - according to Star, I mean Elle Decor magazine.

As for me, I'm unable to choose which house I prefer - I like them both too much!

18 comments :

  1. Such a difficult choice to make, but I think it has to be the Houston home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both . My dream is to have several homes to have several decoration . I think everything can look wondrful and chic if it is made in the proper way . Those 2 houses are fabulous. I haven't heard before of the Hill's country in Texas , it seems we are in France .
    Thank you for sharing that with us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops... Both these houses are very well done; reassuring to see her taste is consistent. For me I would choose the country house - but I would need to butch it up a bit. Darker colours and much more severe furniture and bolder art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the romantic decor of the town house, but I adore the rustic country kitchen -- I guess I'm schizophrenic! Great pics -- thanks!
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both are beautiful - but I love the Texas house - there is something very personal about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Difficult choice, b/c they're both so beautiful, but perhaps the Houston house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog. It's so lovely.
    Having been in the Texas Hill Country I can appreciate the beautiful limestone home. The interior is stunning.
    I will return to visit your often.
    Thanks!
    Fifi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote for the country house! wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the country home, without blinking! Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's a tie? and yes, House of Beauty, it probably does need to be butched up a bit! Too funny! Welcome to all the newcomers, I plan to visit all your blogs tonight.

    Thanks again for your votes. I've decided I'm going for the town house, but I'm going to site it in the country house's yard!!! HAhahah~

    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just checked your blog, and saw that you have made a few posts this week!

    I love the sentence "The owner had been accumulating antiques she bought in France for years in anticipation of owning a country home." Pure luxury!

    I react to the country home...it has such a clean, spare, luxurious vibe to it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All of the photos are just beautiful!! So glad Houston designers are getting such great recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stumbled to your beautiful blog via Desire to Inspire. I must say that it is absolute eye candy! Thanks for sharing such beautiful images and content!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It can't really have effect, I think this way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. louis vuitton uk are diversified in various kinds, handbags, backpacks, portable bags, purses, wallets and pouches. All kinds are popular among the whole word people.louis vuitton Store Online Handbags can also bring great accuracy as well as practical applicability and fashionable.Have you ever dreamed of being as charming as Madonna? Have you ever thought of becoming an envy of all your friends? If so, come to louis vuitton outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There certainly are a amount of methods to acquire affordable coach products at coach factory outlet,it could possibly the most effective options.the most vital cause may be the reality that you simply can purchase genuine coach products at there.All people give the good comments for the coach factory online, and now the Coach outlet store provides many discount goods online.Coach bags enjoy high popularity throughout the world. I would like to share the coach factory outlet online with you. What are you waiting for? Just come to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hеllo! I've been reading your weblog for a long time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic work!
    Also visit my web site ... zulutradeonline

    ReplyDelete